A lot of men take pride in a well-equipped garage and it can also make work far more enjoyable and effective. Choose the right tools and you’ll get more done and in less time. Our list of tools every man should have in his garage contains some of the most essential items to have on standby in your garage or man-cave.
Here are the tools every man should have in his garage
A decent drill
DEWALT DCK240C2 20v
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Lightweight tools designed to fit the users' needs
- INCREASED VISIBILITY: The DCF885 features a built-in LED with 20-second delay after trigger release
- INCLUDES: (1) DCD771 Drill/Driver, (1) DCF885 1/4 in. Impact Driver, (2) 20V MAX* Lithium Ion 1.3 Ah Battery Packs, 20V MAX* charger, and (1) Kit Bag
Many guys need a drill because of the power and convenience they offer. The DeWalt drill impact driver has a host of features and its really easy to use, too.
A quick peek at the tech-specs shows that the DeWalt is more than a match for other drills on the market. It’s also portable and convenient so guys that lack drilling experience can soon get the hang of it.
The DeWalt drill tool is mostly aimed at casual users and also for those that need an impact drill combo tool. There are a heaps lot of drilling/fastening tools around these days but many of them are too difficult to use for a beginner or too darn expensive.
So if you are a fan of DIY, or you just feel that every garage should have a decent drill, the DCK240C2 is an excellent tool from a very reputable brand so ticks all the boxes.back to menu ↑
A strong utility knife
Milwaukee 48-22-1903 Fastback 3 Utility Knife
Milwaukee 48-22-1903 Fastback 3 Utility Knife with 4 Blade Storage, Wire Stripping Compartment, and Gut Hook
- WIRE CLIP: You can keep this tool on your person so you can have it readily available on your belt or on your clothing wherever you go
- BLADE STORAGE: Keep up to 4 extra blades inside the knife. You can change these blades easily with a quick lock button at the base of the blade
A utility knife can come in really handy when you want to cut rope, material, rubber, lino, packing tape, paper, or even toy-animals. Even after just buying a brand new X Box, you need a utility knife to release it from its packaging!
Often overlooked, this small item is the one you’ll use the most. There are a few different kinds available but the main thing is for the knife to be sturdy and have a sharp and durable blade.
The Milwaukee® 48-22-1903 Fastback is designed for maximum productivity. Press and Flip single-handed opening provide simple access to the blade.
You can also keep four additional blades with the onboard magnetic blade storage. It’s easy to change the blade and you don’t need any extra tools to do it.
The knife also features an integrated wire stripper and an integrated gut hook so you can make a cut without opening the blade.back to menu ↑
A garage door opener
Chamberlain B970 Smartphone-Controlled Ultra-Quiet and Strong Belt Drive Garage Door Opener
Chamberlain B970 Smartphone-Controlled Ultra-Quiet and Strong Belt Drive Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup and MAX Lifting Power, Blue
- Smart garage door opener comes with built-in myq technology to keep you connected and protected: open, close, and know the status of your garage door from anywhere with a smartphone with the myq app
- Battery backup - ensures safe replacement ins-and-outs even during power failures. Radio Frequencies: 310, 315, 390
Belt-driven garage door openers are popular for their quiet operation. The downside is that they tend to be more expensive than their chain-driven equivalents.
They also lift/raise the garage door in a much smoother manner, so there is no door swaying or vibration to the rest of the property.
If your home has an attached garage or you have a living area above the garage, the noise of a chain-driven model can easily interrupt your sleep and get old real-quick, so a belt-driven unit may be a more peaceful option.
The Chamberlain B970 is a very well-equipped garage door opener. It’s powerful, quiet and has tons of customizable features.
Powered by a 1.25 HPS motor, it’s MyQ enabled and can be controlled by your smartphone and tablet/laptop ( control & status updates are included). The unit also has a battery back-up (in case of power cuts).
The Chamberlain has a full function (in-garage) control panel which shows all of the diagnostic info should there be any functioning issues. You also get two multi-function remotes included which have an impressive range of up to 1,500 feet.
It features first-rate safety sensors that stop a closing garage door (and reverse the motion) if any object or person should break the invisible beam.
It’s also one of the safest garage door openers on the market thanks to its wireless external keyless entry system. The brilliant system uses a rolling code with billions of combinations, that code changes after every use so it’s really as good as it gets.back to menu ↑
A complete tool set with a case
STANLEY 94-248 65 Piece Homeowner’s DIY Tool Kit
- ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED: Ratchet handles are ergonomically designed and have an easy-to-use, thumb-operated reverse-switch mechanism
- SOCKET AND EXTENSION LOCK: Sockets and extensions remain locked onto the drive until disengaged with an easy-to-reach, low-profile quick-release button
Next in our list of tools every man should have in his garage is a tool set – worth its weight in gold when you need to complete minor home repairs and renovations quickly and easily.
It’s best to grab a set that includes a hammer, a tape measure, a few screwdrivers, pliers, hex keys and a drill and bits if possible. These items should cover you for the vast majority of DIY jobs you’re likely to encounter.
One of the most popular tool sets on Amazon today is the Stanley 65-Piece Toolkit. At an excellent price for most homeowners, it is packed with all the basic tools and accessories that you could need.
You get Phillips and flat-head screwdrivers, a hammer, tape measure and magnetic level, 2 sets of pliers, hex keys, utility knife, a 13 oz hammer and ratchet and socket handle with 30 bits. The tools can be neatly stored away in the included blow-molded plastic case.back to menu ↑
A mini air-bag / shim
Winbag 15730 Air Wedge Alignment Tool & Inflatable Shim
- Inflatable air wedge replaces the need for wooden shims and plastic wedges in window, door and cabinet installations
- Aligns and levels household appliances and furniture
- Powerful hand pump lifts up to 300lbs per WINBAG
You may not have seen these before – it’s a thin, tough air cushion that can lift up to 300 pounds when inflated. It’s a great tool for leveling appliances, adjusting doors, opening stuck windows, and so on.
You can also keep one in your vehicle in case you lock your keys in your car. Just put a bag in the gap of your door and inflate the bag enough to open the door a little and hey-presto, you can go ahead and snag your keys with ease.
Its inflatable air cushion is made from a fiber-reinforced material which is super-durable which means that unlike wooden shims, the WINBAG air wedge never leaves unsightly marks on surfaces.
The air wedge is very powerful, is operated by hand and has a maximum load of 300 lbs. per bag. If you have any larger jobs, just use additional WINBAGs.
The WINBAG is good for spanning gaps from 3/32 in. to 2 in. and it can also be used to level items of furniture and to stop doors from slamming in the wind.back to menu ↑
Entertainment with a bluetooth portable speaker
JBL Charge 3 Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Bluetooth - Wirelessly connect up to 3 smartphones or tablets to the speaker and take turns playing powerful stereo sound.
- Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery supports up to 20 hours of playtime and charges smartphones and tablets via USB.
Whether you’re working on the car or just having a cheeky smoke with your neighbor, it’s always nice to have some music while you’re in the garage.
The JBL Charge 3 is a Bluetooth speaker that can be taken anywhere and that includes the beach as it now has a new waterproof exterior. It’s IPX7 rated, meaning that it can be submerged in up to one meter of water for 30 minutes (although it’s not recommended to keep it submerged for long periods).
At the moment, JBL’s line of Charge speakers are the only speakers that allow you to charge the device while playing your music – so that’s why the “Charge” name. The Charge 3 also comes with a built-in microphone so it can be used just like a speakerphone for conference calls.
The predecessor – the JBL Charge 2 was a great Bluetooth speaker in terms of battery life, build quality and sound but the JBL Charge 3 is better in every way. The new model has 20-hour battery life and strikes a perfect balance of sound and features with a very reasonable price tag.back to menu ↑
Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt 120-Volt Super Quiet Portable Generator
- This popular model can operate a wide variety of appliances, making it perfect for portable use at home, camping, on the job site, or much more. Reliable Power is now at your fingertips with Honda's Inverted Generators.
Ask any professional tradesman, outdoorsman or street-food vendor which generator you should buy are they’ll probably say Honda.
The company’s power unit reputation is just as strong as it its reputation for motor vehicles. In fact, just likes its cars, its generators are powerful, quiet and above all very reliable.
The new EU2200i is one of the best generators for the money you can buy today. It produces 10 percent more power than the EU2000i, giving you more power but with almost no increase in weight or cost.
The Honda EU2200i Portable generator has a runtime of 3.2 to 8.1 hours on just .95 of a gallon of fuel and the Eco Throttle feature increases fuel efficiency by limiting the speed according to the demand. It also has a very handy auto shut-off feature that kicks in when the generator gets low on fuel.
The Honda EU2200i is a great generator for providing stable, consistent power that can run laptops, refrigerators, televisions, coffee makers and any other electric device you can think of.back to menu ↑
A super-useful multi-tool
- READY FOR ANYTHING: The Surge is one of our largest multitools and a real powerhouse. Built with our largest pliers and longest multitool blades, it's perfect for tough jobs and the hands that do them.
Need a garage for your pocket? How about the Surge? One of Leatherman’s largest multi-tools and a real force to be reckoned with.
Featuring Leatherman’s largest pliers and longest multi-tool blades, this baby is what’s needed for tough jobs by the blokes that do them!
The Surge comes with a whopping 21 tools, including knives, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutters, an electrical crimper, a wire stripper, scissors, bottle and can openers, files, a saw with blade exchanger, an awl, and a ruler.
The reason we love this multi-tool above all others is that it’s designed to be used with only one hand. It also comes with a heavy-duty lanyard ring so it’s always within reach.
The Leatherman range come with an incredible 25-year limited warranty, so if it ever breaks, just send it in to Leatherman’s USA factory to be fixed.back to menu ↑
A safe and stable ladder
Little Giant Velocity Multi-Use Ladder
- The Model 22 converts to a 19 foot extension ladder - Enjoy an unmatched feeling of stability, dual-pin hinge, wide-flared legs and the highest quality construction. It is a true two-person ladder
- Use the Velocity as multiple sizes of A-frame, extension, 90-degree ladders, or as a scaffold system. Buy one ladder to do the job of five,A-Frame max height :9'1'',A-Frame min height: 5'1'',Extension max height: 19',Extension min height:11',Rung Size Single Section:Inner: 1.5'' Outer: 1'',Stepladder height: 5'7",Storage Depth: 9'',Storage height: 5'7",Width at base: 27"
Accidents from falls are one or the most common causes of work-related accidents, both at home and at work. If you need to work at any kind of elevation, a step ladder is essential to keep you stable and safe.
This sturdy versatile ladder will help you step-up your DIY game both indoors and outside. It’s strong and stable and easily supports up to 300 pounds.
The Little Giant Velocity has wide-flared legs for great stability and it’s fitted with “Tip & Glide” wheels so you can easily move it from place to place. It can be adjusted for irregular surfaces and also steps and gradients.
It features integrated tool slots and a cool three-position tray for stretch-free working.
There are a few models available ranging from 13 to 26 feet which can be easily mounted against a wall, unlike most other stepladders.
We chose the Velocity due to it’s top of the line safety and comfort. It has wider rungs than most comparable ladders. The wider rungs minimize fatigue and foot pain and also help your stability and balance while carrying out home repairs.
If you liked this article, you might also enjoy “PIMP YOUR RIDE” – 24 COOL CAR ACCESSORIES FOR GUYS THAT LOVE THEIR RIDES” from our “GEAR” section.